Roasted Butternut Squash, Leek & Potato Soup
2 large butternut squashes
2 pints baby gold potatoes
2 large leeks'
1 carton chicken broth
2 Tbsp salted butter
4 Tbsp bacon fat
2 Tbsp fresh thyme (1Tbsp dried)
2 Tbsp fresh chopped marjoram (1Tbsp dried)
1 bay leaf
Sour cream (optional)
Crumbled bacon (optional)
- Halve 2 large butternut squashes lengthwise, de-seed, and place flesh-up on baking pan.
- Paint with 1 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, thyme and marjoram.
- Bake at 400-degrees for 90 minutes. Set out to cool.
- Dice 2 pints baby gold potatoes and boil till tender. Drain.
- Chop 2 large leeks (bulb and stem) and sauté in bacon fat (4Tbsp) plus 1 Tbsp butter with 1 bay leaf on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer 1/2 potatoes and 1/2 leeks to a bowl and set aside.
- Once cool to the touch, scoop out butternut squash from skin.
- Add butternut squash to remaining 1/2 of leeks (with bay leaf) and 1/2 potatoes.
- Add 1 carton chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 30 mins.
- Remove bay leaf, and puree soup with stick blender.
- Add remaining potatoes and leeks you set aside and serve!
You can also top with a dollop of sour cream and bacon bits, but it's just as good without!