Google Analytics Code

Friday, July 8, 2011

Stuffed Zucchini



I DO WHAT I WANT! And this applies both to blogging and cooking. I've had what could only be considered to be a straight-up assload of zucchini appear in my veggie garden as of late, so yesterday I decided to do something about it... Cook it! But how? Yeah, that was the question... I've had so little time to myself it seems, since I've been back on the ole workout bandwagon, that I knew I wanted to do something easy with the zukes that would be a main dish, and not one that produces many dishes to boot (I still have 4th of July party dishes piled up in my sink). Oh yeah, and did I mention tasty? I like to eat, in case you hadn't noticed - anything I make must be tasty! So, I thought about things I liked (goat cheese and spinach) and how they worked with other things I grow (basil and oregano), and behold, the stuffed zucchini recipe I outline below was born! It was so good that I ate an entire half of the zucchini, and my dog was even begging for some (I know it's good when he begs, because he's become incredibly picky in his old age). If you wind up altering and it tastes amazing, please comment and let me know what you did. Enjoy! 


Stuffed Zucchini
1 gigantic zucchini (or 2 large ones)
16-oz pkg frozen spinach
5 green onions (small bunch), chopped (1/2 whites)
2 seeded pepperoncini peppers, chopped
4oz goat cheese
1c sour cream
1.5c fresh basil
1 lg sprig fresh oregano, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2tbsp butter


Cut zucchini in half, lengthwise, and place in baking dish or on shallow pan. Scoop out flesh and set aside.


Heat butter. Sauté onions and pepper over medium high heat for 2 mins. Add garlic, scooped zucchini, and frozen spinach. Reduce to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 5-7 mins, stirring occasionally.


Add goat cheese, sour cream, oregano, and basil. Stir until cheese is melted and dairy is blended. Add salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Add 2tbsp flour and stir well. Simmer while stirring until thickened (thin gravy consistency), about 5 minutes.


Place mixture in zucchini shells and bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


TIP: The more zucchini flesh you scoop out of the zucchini initially, the tastier the dish IMO. Conversely, if you absolutely love the flavor of plain zucchini, scoop less flesh. Personally, I like when zucchini picks up the flavor of whatever it has been cooked with, so next time I make this I'll scoop even more flesh out initially.

1 comment:

  1. We did this last night, oddly enough before I read this!
    We used port salut cheese and some other cheese that we forgot what it was - we only knew that it had been in the fridge the longest - over some garden tomatoes, poblano peppers, red onions.
    Delicious.

    We also had the first (and presumably last) round of the artichokes the other day...pretty good for homegrown, but I don't think one of the plants will end up producing more fruit.

    ReplyDelete